There seems to be at least one birthday in this scene nearly every day, but today is extra special because it’s the day our good friend Nick Martin turns 30. It’s almost hard to believe that at such a young age he’s managed to play such a largely influential role in the current alternative scene, but one look at his body of work and it’s easy to see why. Nick is an unstoppable force of rock and ferocity, with a kindness and sincerity that is rare in this industry, and today we’re celebrating his special day by featuring five of our favorite tracks from his career.
For the record, this list could be at least two or three times longer, but we decided offering a basic primer would be more helpful than a long editorial praising his many efforts. Part of the fun of music is discovery, and we only hope to open the door of curiosity so that you are able to explore Martin’s catalog on your own terms. There is a lot of good material to be heard, and even more on the way.
Happy birthday, Nick. We wish you all the best.
1. Underminded – “¡Ya Basta!”
2. Underminded – “Kind Of Like A Body Bag”
3. Chiodos – “The Undertaker’s Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable”
4. D.R.U.G.S. – “My Swagger Has A First Name”
5. In Fear and Faith – “Bones” (
Latest posts by James Shotwell (see all)
- 2015’s Most Underrated Films - December 29, 2015
- Passing The Torch: The End Of An Era For UTG - December 1, 2015
- UTG PREMIERE: Before The Streetlights – “Private Browser” - November 26, 2015